The Brownwood community was named after James N. Brown, who owned a substantial amount of land in the area in the early mid 19th century. A stagecoach route between Augusta and “Sand Town,” now known as Newborn, ran through Brownwood and the community included an inn for travelers. The Brown family sold land to the Brownwood Church in 1862, although the church already existed at that time. It is this church that is the center of the community. The original church burned in 1954, but was rebuilt a year later. The community came to include the Brownwood School (later know as Brobston’s School), and the Thankful Church and School.