Old courthouse on the square
The second courthouse for Morgan County was located on the square in the same location as the first. The original courthouse burned in 1844, and this replacement was constructed a year later. Due to the need for more space, the third and current courthouse was constructed in 1905-06. This building was used as office space and as a theater until it burned in 1916. Another view of the courthouse may be seen here. Photo courtesy of Morgan County Archives.