Pennington

The Pennington community is named after the Pennington family, who settled in the area after Thomas Pennington was given a land grant in 1784 for his service during the Revolutionary War. By the 1880’s, Pennington had a post office and a country store. The Pennington Methodist Church was dedicated in 1890 and a school was constructed in 1905. The Pennington home built in 1847, still stands, along with the homes of other prominent community families:  the Newtons and the Walkers. The community has always been an agricultural area. Original crops of peaches and cotton have been replaced by timber and dairy farms.